• Log in
  • Sign up
  • Reward for Dylan tips at $20,000

    Boy disappeared from Vallecito 5 weeks ago

    Thirteen-year-old Dylan Redwine has been missing since Nov. 19. A bloodhound recently scoured areas previously searched but turned up no scent of the teenager. Enlarge photo

    Durango Herald file photo

    Thirteen-year-old Dylan Redwine has been missing since Nov. 19. A bloodhound recently scoured areas previously searched but turned up no scent of the teenager.

    The reward for information leading to solving the disappearance of 13-year-old Dylan Redwine, who went missing from his father’s house in Vallecito on Nov. 19, now stands at $20,000.

    “I just went to the bank this morning and deposited $4,000 more,” Denise Hess, an Ignacio resident and family friend who has led the community effort to find the youngster, said Wednesday.

    The reward could go for a lead resulting in an arrest or information leading to Dylan’s whereabouts, Durango Police Department Officer Ron Wysocki said.

    Dylan was on a court-ordered visit with his father during Thanksgiving break. He had attended Bayfield schools but was living in Colorado Springs with his mother, Elaine Redwine, and his brother Cory, 21. Dylan’s parents divorced in 2007.

    The youngster, who had arrived the evening before, was supposed to meet old school chums early Nov. 19. His father saw him asleep when he left to run errands at 7:30 a.m. but didn’t find Dylan home when he returned four hours later. His father alerted authorities in the afternoon when he couldn’t locate his son.

    In a recent development, a bloodhound from New Mexico searched the same areas in Vallecito gone over earlier by search teams and dogs, KOAT-TV in Albuquerque reported.

    The bloodhound, the station report said, can detect a scent up to 6 weeks old. But the dog turned up nothing.

    Hess said donations, a benefit dinner and a silent auction have raised $14,000 in reward money. An anonymous donor contributed $5,000 and Durango-La Plata Crime Stoppers, which administers reward money, put in $1,000.

    The Crime Stoppers number is 247-1112.

    A separate fund at Wells Fargo Bank contains about $2,000 from donations and the sale of bracelets and ribbons to keep interest in Dylan’s disappearance before the public, Hess said.

    The Headline News show of Nancy Grace has highlighted Dylan’s case twice. “Good Morning America” recently interviewed Elaine Redwine.

    La Plata County Sheriff’s Office investigators interviewed Vallecito residents, hiked terrain with dogs and used sonar-equipped boats to search the reservoir. They also searched Mark Redwine’s house and two pickups.

    Hess organized community search parties that numbered a couple of hundred at times.

    On Wednesday, on the Find Missing Dylan Redwine Facebook page, a message labeled “from Dylan’s Mom” said, “Good morning my sweet Dylan. Christmas is over, and it was so empty without you. We are doing everything we can to find you or get to the person who is responsible for taking you. I am so angry at the person who ‘lost’ you. You should be able to trust that your parents will protect you and keep you safe. Just know that we will find you and keep you safe again as we have for many years. Don’t give up Dylan and stay strong.”

    daler@durangoherald.com

    Comments » Read and share your thoughts on this story