Firefighters douse blaze at Third Avenue home

Shane Baird, a firefighter/paramedic with Durango Fire & Rescue Authority, pulls smoldering insulation from a wall of a house on the 900 block of East Third Avenue that caught fire midday Tuesday. No injuries were reported. Enlarge photo

SHAUN STANLEY/Durango Herald

Shane Baird, a firefighter/paramedic with Durango Fire & Rescue Authority, pulls smoldering insulation from a wall of a house on the 900 block of East Third Avenue that caught fire midday Tuesday. No injuries were reported.

A section of historic East Third Avenue was closed for about 2˝ hours Tuesday while firefighters extinguished a small blaze on the side of a house.

The fire was reported about 11:45 a.m. in the 900 block of East Third Avenue. The southbound lane was closed until 2:15 p.m. to allow firefighters to work.

Construction workers using a flame device to remove ice around the rock facade at the base of the structure started the fire, said Fire Marshal Karola Hanks, with Durango Fire & Rescue Authority.

Flames moved up the side and into a crawl space inside the house, she said.

“It’s confined to that crawl space,” Hanks said. “We have minor smoke damage inside the house.”

Any time fire enters the voids of a structure, there is the potential for flames to crawl through the framework, Hanks said. Firefighters were on the ground feeling for heat, she said.

“We’ve got guys crawling around on their bellies down there looking for hot spots,” Hanks said. “There’s just about enough room for a firefighter between the foundation and the floor joists.”

Firefighters planned to monitor the house for 24 hours to make sure all the hot spots were extinguished.

shane@durangoherald.com

Comments » Read and share your thoughts on this story