Throw out Friday’s lopsided result in West Chester, Pa., and the Fort Lewis College women’s lacrosse program learned a valuable lesson on their East Coast swing through Pennsylvania.
“We played some very good teams,” FLC head coach Kelsey MacDonald said Saturday. “What’s frustrating is we competed out here, which is great, but now we have to start winning those games.”
FLC lost 9-8 in overtime to the Millersville Marauders on Saturday in Millersville, Pa., one day after being on the wrong end of a 20-3 rout to No. 3 West Chester in West Chester, Pa. FLC started the road trip with a 10-9 win over Chestnut Hill on Thursday in Plymouth Meeting, Pa.
FLC led Millersville 8-3, then allowed six unanswered goals to lose.
“It was just one of those games where we played great for 90 percent, but the other 10 percent we let up, made some silly mistakes, and the other team capitalized,” MacDonald said.
Alyssa Spencer, the Skyhawks’ freshman goalie from Durango High School, “played a great game, made some amazing saves,” said MacDonald, who also praised the Skyhawks’ defense.
“We lost it in the midfield transition,” she said.
Kathryn Dunn and Abby Kvidera scored two goals each for FLC. Jessica Norby had a goal and an assist. Marissa DiCecco, Ellie Carpenter and Brook Wineland each scored a goal, and Toki Tajima-Prodnuk had an assist.
FLC (3-3, 2-1 WILA) will host McKendree in a Western Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association game at 3 p.m. Tuesday at Ray Dennison Memorial Field on the FLC campus, the Skyhawks’ home opener. However, MacDonald said the game potentially could be moved to Alamosa because of the weather.