Advertisement

And the West is History

|
Saturday, July 14, 2018 9:17 PM
The cornerstone was laid for the Benevolent and Protective Order of the Elks, No. 507, in 1925 at Ninth Street and East Second Avenue. Durango Elks Lodge still uses the same building today, at 901 East Second Ave.

100 years ago: Area residents made due with the onset of seasonal rains, including “several mamas and babes” who were caught out in storms but found “an abundance of shelter” and people who lived “off the car line” and had to travel home in carriages or other vehicles.

75 years ago: Mr. and Mrs. Corle “left by auto for New York” after they spent a couple days in Durango. From New York, they would leave for several months to travel in Europe.

50 years ago: James A. Johnson, information director at Fort Lewis College, was injured in a one-vehicle crash on Florida Road about 10 miles east of Durango. According to a report from Colorado State Patrol, Johnson drove his pickup truck into a curve and began to skid, and the car overturned when the rear wheels went off then back on the road.

25 years ago: Animal Control officers received a report that a man shot a dog after it killed some turkeys and a chicken, and was about to “get into some hogs,” in the 23000 block of Highway 140, in Hesperus. No citations were issued and the dog owner allegedly agreed to “pay compensation for the fowl.”

Items in this column were selected from The Durango Herald archives. Accuracy of content may not be verified.

Advertisement