Advertisement

And the West is History

|
Saturday, July 14, 2018 9:18 PM
The cornerstone was laid for the Benevolent and Protective Order of the Elks, No. 507, in 1925 at Ninth Street and East Second Avenue. Durango Elks Lodge still uses the same building today, at 901 East Second Ave.

100 years ago: Mrs. Newt Barton and “Miss” Pearl Roberts left Durango and walked all the way to Mancos. They arrived at their destination during the afternoon the next day, after staying overnight in Thompson’s Park.

75 years ago: Mrs. Allan Heldt of Carlsbad, California, headed back toward the West Coast after a 10-day visit at the Kroeger home in Durango.

50 years ago: About 40 people from the Model T Ford Club in southern California were on a vacation in Durango. They all took the train to Silverton after staying at the Strater Hotel the night before.

25 years ago: Durango Police officers assisted firefighters as they “mopped up” a small fire that started near the chapel on the Fort Lewis College campus.

Items in this column were selected from The Durango Herald archives. Accuracy of content may not be verified.

Advertisement