Students and staff members at Bayfield Primary School were evacuated Tuesday because of a small gas leak detected at a meter behind the west campus.
An alert sent to parents around 10:30 a.m. stated that the fire department determined the leak was not explosive, and it posed no risk to students or staff. Source Gas repaired the meter, and the evacuation was over by about 1 p.m., said Bayfield Superintendent Troy Zabel.
“Fortunately, the west campus just houses specials like art, music and (physical education),” he said. “So we could just house everyone on the east campus in the regular classrooms.”
The meter’s damage was caused by the snow and ice, he said.