Firefighters were able to save a house from destruction north of Vallecito Reservoir.
The fire was reported at 8:22 p.m. Sunday by Mark Redwine, who lives at the 1,500-square-foot home 2½ miles north of
Redwine told firefighters he was cooking on the kitchen stove and decided to take a shower. When he came out of the
shower, the kitchen was on fire, he said.
Firefighters arrived at 8:38 p.m. - 16 minutes after the first call, said Deputy Chief of Operations Randy Larson, with
the Upper Pine River Fire Protection District.
We had a kitchen fire that had spread into the second-floor living area and the second-floor storage area," Larson
said. We were able to contain it to the second-floor living area."
The fire was controlled by 9:46 p.m., and firefighters cleared the area at 11:33 p.m. The house suffered about $60,000
in damage and now is uninhabitable.
Redwine is believed to be the only person who lived there. He was staying at a motel paid for by his insurance company,Larson said.
The Upper Pine fire department responded with 14 firefighters and 10 apparatus. Durango Fire & Rescue Authority and
Los Pinos Fire Protection District assisted.
Everything went great; I was really impressed," Larson said.
Efforts to reach Redwine, who works with United Pipeline Systems Inc., were unsuccessful Monday.