The golf season is beginning to crank up and so are those pesky winds. I believe it is the only oddity in your game where you can have your best shot and then see it boomerang into another county!
Last weekend, when I was in Alamosa, the American flag never changed its position on the pole at the end of the left field fence, and I eventually asked the grounds keeper if they deliberately starched the material to confuse everyone. I can only assume it is a result of my hot air and not a natural occurrence. The month of May cannot get here any sooner.
Hillcrest Golf ClubThe Hillcrest Women’s Golf Association Opening Night Dinner is coming up May 2nd, and the cost is $10. You must RSVP no later than Friday so organizers can plan for a head count.
This is an excellent time to meet new golfers and renew acquaintances. Give the Hillcrest Golf Pro Shop a call at 247-1499 to get on the guest list and find out what is new and exciting for 2016.
Preparations are continuing for the renovation grand opening of the Hillcrest Golf Club course. The two-hour event, from 5-7 p.m. May 18th, will be filled with fun activities and a reunion of sorts for some past movers and shakers in the storied history of the course. I will have more details upcoming.
Hillcrest will feature the Express Employment Professionals-Best Ball and Scramble May 7-8. There is $500 in added prize purse and a $50 entry fee. You can choose your own partner provided the handicap differential is no greater than eight strokes, Championship Flight excepted. Give Hillcrest a call to sign up.
Dalton Ranch Golf Club One deadline coming up for the Dalton Ranch Golf Club Women is the annual Columbine Classic Duet Tournament. The actual event is June 15-16 but, because of it’s overwhelming popularity, the registration window is coming up May 1-7.
If more than 25 teams submit entries, a random drawing will be held to fill all the available tee times. Priority will be given to those teams having at least two players from either Glacier Club and/or Dalton Ranch. The random drawing will then be held May 8th. Requirements state that there shall be no greater than a 10 stroke handicap differential on the teams. For more information, or to get your entry in, contact Cathy Gaskell at 769-0479. Dalton Ranch will begin it’s monthly Sunday Couples Tournaments starting May 1st. Give the pro shop a call at 247-8774 to get signed up.
Now for the year’s first results:
Hopin’ We’re Open
Dalton Ranch, April 23rd
1. Tyler Coates, Mickey Walsh, 67.2. Shea Sena, Aaron Sinberg, 68.Low Net
1. Steve Pease, John Piccaro, 63.1.2. Jim Hollingsworth, Russ Smith, 64.Second Flight
1. Brian Cartwright, Mike Davis, 71.2. Doug Mewmaw, Chris Moore, 72.Low Net
1. Boyd Hodges, Mark Sword, 64.8.2. Hop Lee, Pat Palmer, 66.4.Third Flight
1. Bob Carruesco, Pete Guerra, 72.T2. Jerry Dickenson, Andy Dougherty; Rick Kniffin, John Thrasher, 75.Low Net
T1. David Broman, Ken Van Zee; Mike Kane, Rick Norton, 64.9.Fourth Flight
1. Mark Epstein, Bernie Welle, 74.2. David Potter, Ron Smith, 76.Low Net
1. Jim Clair, Dave Peters, 64.2.2. Danny Brennan, Joe Murphy, 64.4.JTM Music ABCD Scramble
Hillcrest Golf Club, April 23
1. Matt Barnett, Judy Berkholz, Judith Camacho and Riggs Winz.2. Randy Archuleta, Patrick Otero, Darrell Owen and Michele Peterson.T3. Daphne D’Agostino, Kermitt Barrett, Jean Kirol and Bill Slaughter; John Francis, Dennis Gallegos, Phil Gunn and Steve Howard.Dave Bray has covered the local golf scene for 35 years. He can be reached at email@example.com