School is out, daylight is stretching its limits and tournament action is moving into high gear for the upcoming summer season in Southwest Colorado.
It is still a bit cooler in the mornings, so a good sweater should accompany your golf attire when hitting the links. And, from firsthand experience, grab a fresh, new bottle of the highest SPF sunscreen you can lather on and keep in your golf bag. If you have seen me lately, you know I am the poster child for one-size-fits-all half-moon sunburn on the back of my head from my ball cap. Just remember to dry off the palms of your hands before gripping your clubs or you will learn the laws of what goes up, must come down – hopefully in one piece. Adds new meaning to fore and duck!
Hillcrest Golf ClubI have been asked by the organizers of the 2016 Hillcrest Junior Golf Camp to remind young golfers age 6-17 that you still have time to register for the June 6-9 camp by visiting the Hillcrest pro shop or by giving them a call at 247-1499. The cost of the camp is $20, and all equipment will be provided. So, let’s get onboard and develop those proper skills for this lifetime activity.
The Durango City Amateur Championship, sponsored by Morehart-Murphy Auto Center, will be contested May 29-30 at Hillcrest. This 36-hole individual stroke play event has an entry fee of $60 per person, and there is $750 in added prize purse courtesy of MMAC and Shirley Crom, CPA. One hundred percent handicaps will be used with flights. Proceeds will benefit Youth Baseball of La Plata County.
Dalton Ranch Golf ClubThe 17th Annual Bank of the San Juans Charity Golf Tournament will be held June 3rd at the Dalton Ranch. Proceeds will go to the Community Foundation serving Southwest Colorado. Entries and more information can be obtained by calling 375-5807.
Spring Four Ball Tournament
May 21-22, Dalton Ranch
1. Shea Sena, Aaron Sinberg, 137.2. Bob and Cameron Barnhardt, 141.Low Net
1. Jim Bowen, Jim Foltz, 130.2. Mark and Morgan Miller, 132.First Flight
1. Hop Lee, Pat Palmer, 155.2. Boyd Hodges, Mark Sword, 156.Low Net
1. John Betka, Mark Buono, 132.2. Ray Baker, Tom Kaufman, 134.Second Flight
1. Mark and Patrick Gaughan, 159.2. David Ledwell, Jon Lupia, 166.Low Net
1. Mark Epstein, Mike Kane, 130.2. Bill Clements, Jeff Markel, 136.Ladies Day Event
May 17, Hillcrest
Medal Play, 18-hole First Flight
1. Lynne Andrew, 61.2. Ann Emigh, 66.Second Flight
1. Judy Berkholz, 65.2. Jan Smith, 67.Third Flight
1. Marcia Baxter, 68.2. Shirley Crom, 70.9-hole Flight
1. Arlene Millich, 32.2. Marna Burnett, 35.Dave Bray has covered the local golf scene for 35 years. He can be reached at email@example.com.