I find myself in one of those rare moments in golf when a columnist can write about a local golf professional who distinguished himself among some of the greats in the game.
I am talking about San Juan Country Club PGA Pro J.R. Roth, who competed in the 77th Senior PGA Championship on the Harbor Shores Course in Benton Harbor, Michigan, last weekend. The winner of the event was Rocco Mediate, who carded a 72-hole score of 265 for a 19-under-par finish. Roth was one of only a handful of club pros to make the cut, and he finished tied for 22nd with a 6-under-278.
I enjoyed watching brief moments when commentators followed Roth on the course over the weekend. They talked about how rare and special it was for a club pro to compete in an event like this and how Roth hung in with some of the greats such as Colin Montgomerie, Bernhard Langer, Tom Lehman and many more. For me, it was even more special because I am a co-worker with his daughter, Michelle, who was very proud of what her dad accomplished. Michelle also is a member of the Fort Lewis College women’s golf team. So, next time, when you play at San Juan Country Club, congratulate J.R. for representing the Four Corners in fine style.
Dalton Ranch Golf ClubA trio of charity golf tournaments are on the horizon, and we start with the 17th Bank of the San Juans charity golf event June 3rd at Dalton Ranch. This scramble with a shotgun start will begin at 9 a.m., and proceeds go to the Community Foundation serving Southwest Colorado.
Then, June 15-16, it is the 2016 Columbine Classic Duet Tournament to be contested on both Dalton Ranch and the Glacier Club course. This year’s beneficiary is the Adult Day Care Center at “Our Place” in Durango. Continued support will also be given to the Fort Lewis College women’s golf team with donations to the Nick Turner Scholarship.
The 2016 Ladies Charity Golf Classic will be held June 7-8 on both the Piñon Hills Golf Course and San Juan Country Club. Proceeds will go toward helping local foundations in the Four Corners.
Hillcrest Golf ClubOne more reminder about the 2016 Hillcrest Junior Golf Camp, for youth age 6-17, at Hillcrest on June 6-9. If you have not already registered your young people, give Hillcrest a call at 247-1499.
Durango City Amateur
May 29-30, Hillcrest
1. Shea Sena, 141.2. Kermitt Barrett, 143.Low Net
1. Bob Barnhardt, 143.2. John Perrine, 145.Second Flight
1. Steve Pease, 154.2. Devon Pierce, 158.Low Net
1. Ryan Cleveland, 141.2. Rick Love, 145.Third Flight
1. Skip Vaughan, 166.2. Patrick Gaughan, 167.Low Net
1. Eric Dunn, 142.2. Ken Van Zee, 148.Fourth Flight
1. David Broman, 168.2. Whitey Powers, 173.Low Net
1. Gary Meredith, 144.2. Ray Sigwart, 145.Fifth Flight
1. Ann Emigh, 177.2. Steve Woolverton, 189.Low Net
1. Pat Otero, 141.T2. Jim Howell, George Sheridan, 147.Sixth Flight
1. Laurel Waters, 189.2. Bryan Wells, 197.Low Net
1. Chuck Carmen, 138.2. Deni Dorminy, 139.Dave Bray has covered the local golf scene for 35 years. He can be reached at email@example.com