I first want to apologize to all my readers of this column for my absence last week. I had an emergency procedure to remove an obstruction which, thankfully, was caught in time. I want to thank all my doctors and nurses at Mercy Regional Medical Center for their extraordinary care. I am lighter on my feet today, much to the delight of my PCP.
Now, let us move forward and focus on improved health and a better golf swing.
Hillcrest Golf ClubThe moment has arrived for the 55th Navajo Trail Open-First National Bank of Durango regional tournament at Hillcrest Golf Club. The Pro-Am took Thursday, followed by the three-day, 54-hole Open portion Friday through Sunday.
This year’s field of entries has been maxed out on both the professional and amateur side, and that should make for some very competitive scores. The weather should be ideal, albeit hot, for the event. So needless but necessary to say, if you are a spectator walking in the gallery, keep hydrated. If you are following the professionals, they tee off later in the day Friday, early Saturday and then late for Sunday’s final round.
In years past, in order for the grounds crew to dress the course for each day of play, Hillcrest Golf Club will be closed to casual golf. The course will then open to the public again Monday. Proceeds from this event will go to the Hillcrest Junior Golf Foundation.
Dalton Ranch/Glacier ClubThursday was the final round of the 2016 Columbine Classic Duet Golf Tournament, which is being contested on both the Dalton Ranch Golf Club and the Glacier Club. Organizers work tirelessly from the end of one year’s event to the start of the current tournament to ensure all the elements are in place. Lady golfers from all over the region signed up early to get a spot in the field. Proceeds from the 2016 tournament will go to the Adult Day Care Center at “Our Place” in Durango. The event also continues to support the Fort Lewis College women’s team with donations to the Nick Turner Scholarship. I will have compete results for you next week.
June 9, Hillcrest
1. Trey Brumback, Levi Larson, Levi Tichi, 34.2. Natalie Biery, Anthony Flint, Brady McCaw, Faith Mewmaw, 35.Navajo Trail Sponsors Tournament
June 11, Hillcrest
First Flight, Low Gross
1. James Calkins, Marcus Elliott, David March, Greg Nelson.Low Net
T1. Adam and John Perrine, Paul Wilson, Brett Wolf; Guy Begay, Faylynn Beyale, Dolly Turner, Susan Voorhees.Second Flight, Low Gross
1. Dick Byler, Stan Crapo, Matt Huntley, Lily Tichi.Low Net
T1. Jo D’Agostino, Tom Dunn, Ron Holligan, Steve Kramer; Rod Ems, Chuch Frederick, Micky Gratsy, Mark Walters.Third Flight, Low Gross
1. Fred Jaschek, Mike Mayle, Justin Narans, James Sutton.Low Net
1. Marc and Marti Goldfarb, Debbie Soderblom, Levi Tichi.Fourth Flight Low Gross
1. Lynne Andrew, Mitch Davis, Travis Grigsby, Adam Ruetschle.Low Net
1. Nate Borovier, Derric Close, Dustin Robbins, Jarrell Wilson.Dave Bray has covered the local golf scene for 35 years. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org