For most golfers, the words Ryder Cup are synonymous with a higher level of competition and just plain fun.
That being said, the Animas Capital Management, Ltd. “Ryder Cup Format” tournament will be held Sunday and Monday at Hillcrest Golf Club. There is $500 in added prize purse and an entry fee of $50 per person. The format breaks down into 9-hole segments over the two days. There is alternate shot, best ball, scramble and team total. You can choose your own partner with 100-percent handicaps with flights. There is an eight-stroke maximum handicap differential between partners. Prizes will be awarded on both the gross and net sides of each flight. Tee times will begin at 8 a.m. both days. Give Hillcrest a call at 247-1499 to see if there is still room to enter your twosome.
Looking ahead on the calendar, the CJ’s Diner/Durango Joe’s Coffee Hillcrest Men’s Senior Open will be contested July 16-17. The minimum age to enter is 50 years old and the format is 18-holes of stroke play with full handicaps allowed. Flights will be by age and handicap. Give Hillcrest a call at to get your name on the sign-up sheet.
Dalton Ranch Golf ClubDalton Ranch will have it’s monthly Couples Tournament on July 3rd, followed by the Member/Member event July 16-17. Give Pier and the staff a call at 247-8774 to get signed up for these events.
There was tons of activity on our area courses last week, so let’s get to some results:
June 25, Dalton Ranch
1. Tyler Coates, David March, John Thrasher, Mickey Walsh, 132.T2. Bob Ariano, Denny Pelle, Joe Sposi, Jamie Stowitts; Bob Barnhardt, Pete Guerra, John Ogorzalek, Aaron Sinberg, 133.4. Bill Brown, Bill Clements, Jim Martin, Tony Moreta, 134.T5. Mark Buono, Jim Hollingsworth, Kirk Johnson, Vince Tovar; John Hansen, Keith Jackson, Hop Lee, Pat Palmer, 136.T7. Brad Caskey, Tom Langefels, John Piccaro, Ryan Siggins; Sam Beardsley, Valentino Blackmore, Chris Forrest, Boyd Hodges, 137.Hampton Inn Yellow Ball Challenge
June 25, Hillcrest
1. Kristi and Matt Barnett, James Bedford, John Francis, 128.2. Susan Atzman, Rita Davis, Steve Howard, Laurel Waters, 129.3. Art and Dennis Gallegos, Kurt Poulson, Roy Turnell, 131.4. Ryan Cleveland, Bill Malopolski, David Pierce, Russ Pool, 132.5. Daphne D’Agostino, David Gore, Michele Peterson, Greg Walsh, 132.Junior Scramble
June 23, Hillcrest
1. Gavin Gamlin, Henry Newcomber, Levi Tichi, John Watson, 25.Ladies Day Event
June 21, Hillcrest
Best Ball, One Net
1.Linda Allenbaugh, Judy Berkholz, Janet Monell, 56.2. Deri Dorminy, Jan Smith, Laurel Waters, 57.9-Hole Flight
1. Charlotte Fischer, Sandy Hartnett, Marnie Roti, 24.Ladies Day Event
June 22, Dalton ranch
1. Sue Ries, 98.2. Kerri Smoak, 100.Low Net
1. Amy Brunvand, 76.2. Carol Treat, 77.Second Flight
1. Charlene Hammond, 103.T2. Barbara Smith, Sheri Teeter, 108.Low Net
1. Alison Epstein, 70.T2. Diane Curtis, Marge Meyer-Nugent, 77.Dave Bray has covered the local golf scene for 35 years. He can be reached at email@example.com.