What’s the big deal about a score of 58? I have recorded a 58 in golf many times – on the front nine!
Oh, Jim Furyk shot a 58 for 18 holes at the Travelers Championship at TPC River Highlands in Connecticut last weekend to become the first player to score 58 in a PGA Tour event. It came one week after Stephan Jaeger shot golf’s first 58 in a Web.com event.
Furyk could have shot an even lower score had it not been for a couple of miscues on other holes. Furyk has made a very decent living in the past two years hanging around in the top 10 of the vast majority of tour events. I am glad to see a seasoned tour veteran put his name in the record books, at least for now.
I can not wait to see the return of golf to the Olympics and the professionals who stepped up to the tee box to represent their respective countries. This ought to be a lot of fun, and I hope they keep this event on the schedule for Japan four years down the line.
Dalton Ranch Golf ClubSpeaking of events, the Rally for the Cure Tournament will be held August 17th at Dalton Ranch. This is a grassroots program that works to educate women about breast cancer and reminds them to get a annual screening. The cost of the tournament is $20, with standard green fees and cart rental not included. Participants are encouraged to wear pink and decorate their carts. There are several goodies included in a rally bag for each golfer. Let’s fill the remaining roster spots, so call 247-8774 to sign up.
The beginning of club championships are upon us, as the Dalton Ranch Golf Club Women’s Club Championship was held August 9-10. I will have complete results for you next week.
Hillcrest Golf ClubThe Ska Brewing-Hillcrest Club Championships, for both the women and the men, will be held August 20-21 with an added prize purse of $1,250.
South Forty Golf CourseDo not forget the Medicine Horse Tournament on August 27th at South Forty in Cortez. This is a fundraiser for the Medicine Horse Clinic in Mancos. Give tournament officials a call at 565-3501 to enter your team.
1. Ricky Rathjean, John Saer.Dolores Flight
1. Dave March, Wade Waters.Electra Flight
1. Tom Gorton, Doug Pilling.Haviland Flight
1. Tom Spears, Arnold Valdivia.Hermosa Flight
1. Rex Doyle, John Tikkanen.La Plata Flight
1. John Betka, Cody Carlson.Lemon Flight
1. Tony Scheer, Jon Spolum.Molas Flight
1. John Mower, Jim Whatcott.Piedra Flight
1. Kevin and Richard Foreman.Vallecito Flight
1. Lay Lebeau, Nathan Wickett.Adult-Junior Tournament
1. Charlie and James Voita.T2. A.J. and John Folk; Luke and Mike Tichi.9-Hole Flight
T1. Bud and Shelby Andersen; Ardon and Jim Hoffman.3. Allen and Dillon McCaw.Women’s Event, Individual Stableford
1. Fran Rusk, 36 points.T2. Diane Curtis, Patti Lane, Sharon Mantor, Nancy West, 34 points.Second Flight
1. Jeannie Wheeldon, 34 points.T2. Alison Epstein, Cathy Gaskell, 33 points.Dave Bray has covered the local golf scene for 35 years. He can be reached at email@example.com.