Before we close the books on the 2016 Summer Olympics, one local golf enthusiast said I should also recap the women’s golf results from Rio de Janeiro, and I concur.
The women had a chance to see how the men faired on the windy conditions and took full advantage as they headed into the four-day stroke play competition. There was plenty of excitement with a few holes-in-one and great battles. But, despite an earlier season injury, there was no stopping South Korea’s Inbee Park from recording three rounds of 66 and one round of 70 to take the gold. I think golf is here to stay as an Olympic sport.
The semi-humid dust has now settled from a weekend full of Club Championships at both Dalton Ranch Golf Club and Hillcrest Golf Club. Now, how about a few days of some casual golf as the days grow closer to the unofficial end of summer. Have you seen our area courses lately? They are flush with the green glow of some much deserved rain. Good news, especially for Hillcrest as it matures from last fall’s makeover. I don’t know about you, but does it seem like a slight chill moved into the Four Corners with a preview of the upcoming change of season? I evidenced this firsthand, as I saw a few leaves on my maple tree turning a shade of crimson. Start digging out those light jackets.
Hillcrest Golf ClubMake sure you are not left out of the First National Bank 1-2-3-4 Person Best Ball event Sept.3 at Hillcrest. This is a fun event on the Labor Day weekend. Give Hillcrest a call at 247-1499 to see if there is still room to enter.
Men’s Club Championship
Aug. 20-21, Dalton Ranch
1. Bob Barnhardt, 149.2. Season Griswold, 153.Low Net
1. Mark Miller, 135.2. Adrian Morse, 146.3. Aaron Sinberg, 149.First Flight
1. Mark Miller, 151.2. Toby Lirot, 168.Low Net
1. Steve Pease, 145.2. Doug Mewmaw, 152.Second Flight
1. Fred Smith, 167.2. Brad Caskey, 172.Low Net
1. Bill Brown, 142.T2. Jim Anderson, Vince Tovar, 149.Third Flight
1. Jon Lupia, 178.2. Tony Moreta, 187.Low Net
1. Bill Clements, 145.2. George Reynolds, 149.Men’s Club Championship
Aug. 20-21, Hillcrest
1. Michael Thomas, 144.T2. Kermitt Barrett, John Perrine, 144.Low Net
1. Justin Lyons, 141.2. Brett Wolf, 144.First Flight
1. Patrick Gaughan, 158.2. Skip Vaughan, 163.Low Net
1. Jim Rodefer, 140.2. Whitey Powers, 141.Second Flight
1. Bill Malopolski, 174.2. Bryce Fauble, 175.Low Net
1. Russ Monell, 140.T2. Dave Gore, Jo Warfield, 143.Rule 85 - Second Flight Net
T1. Barry Hillmer, Barry Slaughter, 138.Third Flight
T1. James Bedford, Gary Meredith, 179.Low Net
1. Troy McLaughlin, 139.T2. Russ Jones, Bryan Wells, 143.Women’s Club Championship
Aug. 20-21, Hillcrest
1. Aimee Fladt, 161.2. Susan Atzman, 175.Low Net
1. Laurel Waters, 135.2. Mary Kay Aigner, 145.Dave Bray has covered the local golf scene for 35 years. He can be reached at email@example.com.