Smoke inside the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses church at 1304 Empire St. in Cortez caused an evacuation Sunday morning.
No injuries were reported, and the building did not catch fire. Services were canceled.
The cause was determined to be a faulty motor in a heating system, according to Cortez Fire Department officials. The electricity was shut off, and the faulty part was contained.
About 75 people were evacuated at about 10 a.m. said church elder Phil Conner.
“The evacuation was very orderly, and the response from the fire department, ambulance and police was very quick, helpful and professional,” he said.
The heater unit is being repaired.