I am writing this to warn pet owners of the hazard of using poison baits around the house to kill rodents, moles or voles.
We just lost our beloved two-year-old Australian Shepherd when he ate part of a vole that had ingested poison pellets I had placed deep in the ground through one of the holes they dig.
I assumed the vole would eat the bait, then stay in the ground and die. I also didn’t know an animal that eats poison is as toxic to a dog as the bait itself. The labeling on the poison pellets is poorly presented – it does state that pests that have eaten the poison are toxic themselves but the language is buried at the bottom of a page you must peel back to see and is hard to find.
I will never use any type of poison around my home again after learning the hard way that they can be deadly to pets.
I am grateful for the efforts by Durango Animal Hospital over a weekend to save our sweet Aussie.