The San Juan Brewfest will be held next Saturday, August 26. The Durango Business Improvement District manages this event, and this is the 10th year that I have personally been involved in it. Here are my top 10 reasons to attend:
1. The beer – the San Juan Brewfest is the mother of all beer events. This year 50 breweries are attending, making the Brewfest the biggest beer-tasting festival in the Four Corners. Each brewery will bring at least two beers to taste, so there will be more than 100 beers at the event.
2. The music – this year we are pleased to have Denver-based Dragondeer headlining, and local favorites Farmington Hill opening. Dragondeer has played at Telluride Blues and Brews, SXSW, Tour de Fat, and even at Red Rocks.
3. The charity – the San Juan Brewfest has been a fundraiser for United Way of Southwest Colorado since 2008. Last year, $35,000 was generated for our local United Way.
4. The people – the San Juan Brewfest will be the place to be Saturday August 26. Last year, attendees hailed from 22 states! The Brewfest has sold out for the past three years, making it one of the hottest tickets in town.
5. The VIP experience – VIP tickets cost $70 and provide many extras. In addition to unlimited tastings during the Brewfest from a 5 oz souvenir tasting glass, VIP’s: are invited to a private party with the brewers the night before the Brewfest; get in one hour early to the Brewfest; receive an event t-shirt; receive a unique beer and food pairing in the VIP tent during the Brewfest. Steamworks, Ska and Carvers chefs have created a special menu specifically designed to pair with one of the other brewery’s special beers.
6. The cost – general admission tickets are only $30. An upgraded general admission ticket costs $45. As noted the VIP ticket is $70. Designated driver tickets are just $15, and new this year is a VIP designated driver ticket for $50. The details for each ticket type are noted on our website at SanJuanBrewfest.com.
7. The food – we have lined up five great food vendors this year. The Rotary Club of Durango will serve burgers. Mariana’s Authentic Cuisine will have healthy Asian food. Gosar Sausage is coming from Alamosa. Mountain Stir Fry will be there with stir fry and tacos. Alaskan Reindeer Redhots will be serving unique sausages and brats.
8. The location – the San Juan Brewfest is held in Downtown Durango at Buckley Park. The event also takes over the adjacent 1200 block of Main Avenue. Buckley Park is a great setting for Downtown events.
9. The weather – Durango’s weather in late August is always nice. Normal high is 81 degrees. It might rain for a few minutes in the afternoon, but if it does we cozy up with our neighbors under the brewer’s tents for a few minutes until it passes.
10. The beer – did I mention the beer? The San Juan Brewfest is all about the beer, it really is a great way to find beers that you like.
Visit SanJuanBrewfest.com for ticket and all the event info. Cheers!
firstname.lastname@example.org. Tim Walsworth is the executive director of the Durango Business Improvement District.