I felt the first signs of the approaching fall when the temperature dipped into the low fifties the last few days. Chile roasting is in full force, and the mums have arrived at the local supermarkets. This change also signals the home stretch for tournaments at our area courses.
Hillcrest Golf Club Coming up Sept. 2 is the 43rd Annual First National Bank-Modified Stableford Tournament at Hillcrest. There is $500 in added prize purse and an entry fee of $35 per person. This is also a pick-your-own threesome, 18-hole individual play with 100 percent handicaps used for scoring – net only. Check with the pro shop to see if there is still room available to enter.
Sept. 9th is the Fiesta Mexicana Fall Classic-2 Person Best Ball. =This also has an added prize purse of $500 and entry fee of $35. You can pick your own partner provided the handicap differential is no greater than 10 strokes. Gross and net scoring will prevail using 90 percent handicaps.
Dalton Ranch Golf ClubDalton Ranch has a rather quiet September with the monthly Couples Tournament on Sept.10 followed by a Durango High School Invitational on the Sept. 12, the Los Pistoleros Tournament on Sept. 23-24 and the Dalton Ranch Golf Club Ladies Day Final Play Day and Meeting on Sept. 27.
Speaking of Dalton Ranch, congratulations goes out to our latest hole-in-one recipient Marge Meyer-Nugent, who aced the par-3 second hole Aug. 14. Way to go Marge!
Lets get down to some recent tournament results:
Hillcrest Club Championships
Hillcrest, Aug. 19-20
Men’s Championship Flight (Black Tees)
1. Justin Lyons, 144.Low Net
1. Greg Walsh, 141.Women’s Championship Flight
1. Aimee Fladt, 158.Low Net
1. Ann Emigh, 140.First Flight
T1. Eric Dunn, Mick McDermott, 161.Low Net
T1. Russell Dean, Mike Walker, 143.Second Flight
1. Bret Jameson, 167.Low Net
1. Gary Meredith, 132.Third Flight
1. Paul Peterson, 181.Low Net
1. Troy McLaughlin, 144.Championship Flight (Gold Tees)
1. Skip Vaughn, 152.Low Net
1. Jim Howell, 136.First Flight
1. Lawrence Gomez, 177.Low Net
T1. Larry Gaughan, Roy Turnell, 145.Women’s First Flight
1. Mary Kay Aigner, 175.Low Net
1. Janet Monell, 141.Men’s Club Championship
Dalton Ranch, Aug. 19-20
1. Keenan Holt, 144.Low Net
1. Jim Hollingsworth, 145.First Flight
T1. Pat Palmer, Aaron Sinberg, 158.Low Net
1. Brian Cartwright, 143.Second Flight
1. John Ogorzalek, 159.Low Net
1. John Betka, 140.Third Flight
1. Tony Moreta, 164.Low Net
1. Jesus Raigoza, 138.Ladies Day Medal Play
Hillcrest, Aug. 15
T1. Doddie Abeyta, Janet Monell, 67.Second Flight
1. Marcia Baxter, 67.9-Hole Event
1. Marni Roti, 31.Rally for the Cure
Dalton Ranch, Aug. 16
1. Charlene Hammond, Sue Ries, Diane Smith and Kerri Smoak, 132.Dave Bray has covered the local golf scene for 36 years. He can be reached at email@example.com.