A trial for a Durango man charged with killing his wife last year in the Lightner Creek Mobile Home Park has been reset for August.
Silvino Martinez-Perez had been scheduled for trial Monday. The trial was postponed, however, because the defense had not yet received evidence.
District Judge Suzanne Carlson set the new trial date for Aug. 13.
Martinez-Perez, 36, is charged with first-degree murder in connection with the death of his wife, Crystal Martinez-Perez, 33, who was strangled April 16, 2017, at the mobile home park west of Durango.
Martinez-Perez told investigators he and his wife had a heated argument the night of the incident. Martinez-Perez said he put Crystal in a choke hold, causing her to pass out, and then used his hands to strangle her on the floor.
In addition to first-degree murder, Martinez-Perez is charged with three counts of child abuse and one count of abusing a corpse.
The couple’s three children – a girl and two boys younger than 10 – were in the house the night of the incident. Martinez-Perez also told investigators he had intercourse with Crystal’s body after she was dead.