100 years ago: Two area men, while placing a smokestack on a boarding house roof, were killed instantly after being electrocuted by a 10,000-volt high-tension power line hanging above them.
75 years ago: The city of Durango expressed concern that unoccupied businesses on Main Avenue were having a negative effect on advertising to potential out-of-town buyers.
50 years ago: The U.S. Forest Service announced that fire danger in the Durango area was extremely high. People were asked to “be extra careful with campfires, discarded cigarettes and all other flammable materials.”
25 years ago: Lightning struck a tree and started a small fire in the Durango West II subdivision, according to a report from La Plata County Sheriff’s Office.
Most items in this column are taken from The Durango Herald archives, Center of Southwest Studies and Animas Museum. Accuracy of content may not be verified.