A family home off U.S. Highway 550 sustained smoke damage Tuesday evening.
Durango Fire & Rescue Authority was called out around 8 p.m. for a fire at a house at 15805 Highway 550, across from the access road to County Road 220.
"Apparently it started in the chimney where the flue was a little out of kilter," DFRA spokesman David Abercrombie said. "The damage is fairly minor, $5,000 or less."
The family had just moved out of an apartment in Durango and into the house on Florida Mesa over the weekend, he said. They had just lit their first fire in their new fireplace.
Abercrombie did not know if the family was insured. He said they would stay with relatives Tuesday night, but thought that they might be back in their home soon. He did not release the name of the family.