According to the Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles, there are 2,140 boats registered in La Plata County. This number includes sailboats, fishing boats, high speed motor boats and any other boats that are registered in our county. According to the La Plata County Web site there are 50,203 people living in our county. If we assume one boat (of any kind) per person, that means 4 percent of the population owns a boat. If we assume a number of boat owners tend to have more than one boat, then the number of boat owners per population drops below 4 percent. If we assume a certain percentage are sailboats, then the percentage of motorized boats drops below 4 percent. If we assume two people (spouses) per boat, then the percentage increases.
However, for simplicity's sake, if we go with the known facts, 4 percent of the population is telling the other 96 percent how the lake should be used.
Allison Morrissey, Hesperus