This photo, from around 1915, shows 14 students and their teacher in front of the first school in Animas City. The school may have been built as early as 1874, and probably no later than 1876. It was built of hand-hewn logs and existed well into the 20th century. It was destroyed by a fire, date unknown, which was allegedly set by a vagrant who tried to use the fireplace for warmth while spending the night. The school was situated just north of 32nd Street on the east side of Main; the front door to the school faced Main Street. Today, the location is the site of the strip mall that houses The Yellow Carrot and Gospel Church Durango. Read more local history at durangoherald.com/westishistory.
Ed Horvat for The Animas Museum, firstname.lastname@example.org