In January 1916, by a majority of 37 votes, the citizens of Durango passed a $175,000 bond issue for a new high school. Construction began that year, and the building was ready for classes at the start of the 1917 school year. Considered extremely modern for the time, the initial construction included an indoor plunge pool. This pool was rumored to be one of the first indoor pools built west of the Mississippi River, though there is no way to verify the claim now. In 1927, the plunge pool was demolished; and in its place, a newer, bigger pool and locker room were installed at the north end of the school. The pool was abandoned in 1976 due to leakage issues. The area where the pool was located is now home to the Durango School District 9-R administration building. Read more local history at durangoherald.com/westishistory.
Ed Horvat for The Animas Museum, firstname.lastname@example.org