This family portrait of the Roberts and Gonner extended family was taken on July 4, 1898. The family is standing at 397 W. 23rd St., about one block south of where Needham Elementary School now stands. The view is to the northeast. This was the southern boundary of Animas City; Junction Creek was the geographic dividing line between Durango and Animas City. In 1947, Animas City was absorbed into Durango by a vote of its residents. Note the bicycle: Even in the 1800s, bicycling was extremely popular in Southwest Colorado. Read more local history at durangoherald.com/westishistory.
Ed Horvat for The Animas Museum, firstname.lastname@example.org