When this picture was taken in 1885, this was the northern end of Durango. While Durango had only been in existence for about four years, many buildings had been constructed. The railroad bridge in the foreground still exists today. Above the bridge on the far side of the river is where the Durango Fish Hatchery and Wildlife Museum is now located. There was high water when this picture was taken, noted by the small space between bridge and river at both the railroad bridge and the Main Avenue bridge downstream to the left. The home in the left foreground still exists, too. It is identified as the David Day home. He was the founder, in 1893, of the Durango Democrat that eventually became today’s Durango Herald. He died in 1914 at the age of 61. This house is located at the three-way intersection of 15th Street, Third Avenue and Florida Road. Read more local history at durangoherald.com/westishistory.
Ed Horvat for The Animas Museum, firstname.lastname@example.org