This photo, taken in the late 1890s or early 1900s, shows the Naegelin Blacksmith business near the corner of Main Avenue and 14th Street. It was located on the east side of the street where AutoZone is now. City Market was located there in the ’70s and ’80s. The Naegelin Blacksmith shop was originally located in the first La Plata County seat of Parrott City in 1876 and served the mines in the La Plata Mining District. The shop was moved to Animas City the next year and finally was moved to this location in 1881 when the city of Durango was incorporated. Charles Naegelin, pictured next to the horse, operated the business for many years and served on numerous city boards. He died in 1934 at the age of 81. In this photograph, directly across the street from the shop, there still exists what is considered one of the oldest buildings in Durango at 1345 Main Ave. The dilapidated red-colored wood building is tucked between the mall that houses Northpoint Furnishings and Animas Sheet Metal. For much of its life, it was a carpentry shop owned by Theodore Peterson and was listed in both the 1892 and 1921 Durango Business Directory. Read more about local history at durangoherald.com/westishistory.
Ed Horvat for The Animas Museum, email@example.com