This electric streetcar, seen here around 1900, was part of the Durango Railway and Realty Co., formed in 1892 to operate an electric street and suburban railway in Durango. The utility purchased the existing mule- and horse-drawn street railway system that operated from the train depot to the Main Street Bridge. The company also bought property known as the Dwyer tract located between Durango and Animas City, which became known as Brookside. (The area where the Chamber of Commerce is now located.) The shareholders hoped to use the streetcar line to leverage their investment in land speculation at Brookside. Over the ensuing years, the line expanded to reach Animas City but was never financially successful and the company petitioned the State Utility Commission to cease operation in 1920. The Brookside lots were sold off in 1923 and the company was officially liquidated in 1932. This picture of the corner of Ninth Street and Main Avenue shows what would become Burns National Bank and today houses The Irish Embassy Pub. Read more local history at durangoherald.com/westishistory.
Ed Horvat for The Animas Museum, email@example.com