This photo was taken in front of a Bayfield drugstore and barbershop nearly 110 years ago. The structure housing the drugstore still exists at the northwest corner of Mill and Pine streets, though the barbershop building was torn down. The drugstore building is now painted red but is unmistakably the same building. It has been home to Colson Hardware and the Telephone Exchange in later years. William and Laura Bay donated 80 acres of land to be laid out for the town in 1898. Another family, the Schillers, also donated land in 1898. Because of the donations by the families, they agreed to toss a coin to establish the town name. Bay won the toss, and the name he chose was Bayfield. Had Schiller won, the town today would likely be called Schillerville. The town was incorporated in 1906. Read more local history at durangoherald.com/westishistory.
Ed Horvat for The Animas Museum, firstname.lastname@example.org