The Colorado State Patrol reminds residents how to handle accident reports.
Residents are instructed to exchange name, address, phone number and insurance information with the other driver, and advised to report the accident using the Colorado State Patrol online accident reporting website.
The directions for filing an online report are as follows:
1. Go to the website www.colorado.gov/csp.
2. On the task bar go to “I want to …”
3. Go to “crash information.”
4. Select “file an online crash report.”
A report number will be assigned once the report is completed.
If a resident would prefer to discuss the details of the crash with an officer, and the crash does not meet the exceptions* criteria, they may contact nonemergency dispatch at 385-2900 after the accident alert has been lifted, or stop by a police department lobby during normal business hours.
*Exceptions to waiting to report after accident alert is lifted:
1. A fatality or an injury requiring medical attention.
2. Alcohol or drug involvement.
3. Roadway blockage or vehicles creating a hazardous situation.
4. Damage to city property or vehicles, or injury to city personnel.
5. A need for police intervention.