This photo from 1920 shows the early Durango jazz band “The Syncopated Five” performing at the Red Men Hall in Durango. The band was led by violinist Jay Glaser, with Mrs. E. Sheridan at piano; Dr. C.C. McCormick on sax; Wally Mollette on banjo and ukulele; and Carl Compton on drums and xylophone. The band played frequently in Durango in 1920 and 1921. The Red Men Hall, built in 1905, served the “Improved Order of Red Men,” a once popular fraternal organization. The building was sold to the Masonic Lodge in 1921 and later became known as the Masonic Ballroom. The building still exists and is now occupied by the Red Snapper at 142 E. Ninth St.
Ed Horvat for Animas Museum, firstname.lastname@example.org