The Durango Transfer and Livery Stable was located on the 700 block of East Second Avenue. The building visible next to it (north) is the Rochester Hotel that still exists today. The men pictured are brothers, Edward and Dick Hendricks. Sometime after this picture was taken, they moved to New Mexico to farm and sold the business to James W. Jarvis, who changed the name to Durango Boarding and Feed Stable. Jarvis later opened Durango’s first car dealership, as well as establishing a film production company in 1917. As America transitioned to motor vehicles, downtown Second Avenue became known for its car dealerships. Various companies including Ford, Chevrolet and Buick dealerships were all located on that street into the 1980s.
Ed Horvat for Animas Museum, firstname.lastname@example.org