SANTA FE – New Mexico health officials reported an additional 113 positive tests for the novel coronavirus as the state began Monday easing some of the restrictions that had been placed on businesses to limit spread.
The state now has 7,800 confirmed cases, with more than half of those originating in McKinley and San Juan counties. The death toll stands at 362. Six new deaths were reported Monday, with one of those involving an inmate in state custody in Otero County who had underlying conditions.
Monday marked the first day restaurants could resume indoor seating at 50% occupancy under an amended public health order. Hair salons, gyms and indoor shopping malls also were allowed to reopen on a limited basis.
Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham said in a statement that the first phase of reopening the economy wasn’t an invitation to forget about the risks of this virus.
“It is a mandate that we be more cautious and careful about our choices and decisions than ever before,” she said. “Just because you can go doesn’t mean you should.”
The provisions of the amended public health order apply statewide. It will be effective through the end of June.