This early Durango school was originally known as the Southside School when it opened in 1882. In 1886, the name was changed to the Longfellow School in honor of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, the well-known American poet who died the year the school was built. It’s uncertain what event brought these Ute tribal members to the school, but one source suggested they were there to perform the “Dog Dance.” This school was multiuse with high school classes held starting in 1888. It was located on the east side of Fifth Avenue between Ninth Street and 10th Street. It burned to the ground in 1901.
Ed Horvat for Animas Museum, email@example.com