In the 1930s, football was played at this municipal field in downtown Durango. The field was located approximately where the TBK Bank is now, on the 200 block between Eighth Street and Ninth Street. Starting around the turn of the century, games were played at a field complex close to the La Plata County Fairgrounds, but by the mid-1930s, this lighted field downtown was used. Downtown businessmen advocated for a lit field downtown so games could be played after business hours. Games previously had to be played during the day when most workers were unable to attend. Eventually, this field was abandoned as the need for more business space downtown took precedent. Games were moved back to the fairgrounds. In 1934, this very first night game in the basin was played between Durango High School and Norwood High School. This is clearly a staged photograph. Even in the 1930s, marching bands waited until halftime to perform on the field. Fort Lewis College also played home games on this field. It only had a practice field at its Hesperus campus. It began playing home games on campus when the college moved to its present location in Durango.
Ed Horvat for Animas Museum, email@example.com