Durango was organized in September 1880, but the main thoroughfare through downtown wasn’t paved until 44 years later in June 1924. This photo shows the progress being made by the Strange-Maguire Paving Co. between Eighth and Ninth streets. Just like today, things don’t always go as planned. Because areas on each side of the street were paved before the base was sufficiently dry, the company had to come back and repave stretches of the road in July.
Ed Horvat for Animas Museum, email@example.com