This picture was taken in winter 1936, shortly after KIUP Radio moved to its new building at 2800 Main Ave. Built for a mere $1,540, the station broadcast from this north Durango location until 1950. That was when a bigger, more modern facility was constructed south of town. “Radio Ranch” as it was called was near where the La Plata County Humane Society Thrift Store is now. If the building pictured looks somewhat familiar, it’s because it still exists just north of the Boys & Girls Club. A small addition was added to its south side and the entrance has been changed, but the building’s original box-like shape is still clearly visible. Until recently, GOAL High School was located there. Today, it is home to Miles of Smiles Photography.
Ed Horvat for Animas Museum, [email protected]