The first hotel at Trimble Hot Springs, 9 miles north of Durango, was built in 1882. It burned in 1892, and this larger hotel, known as the Hermosa House, was built in 1896. A stop on the railroad as it headed north to Silverton, the resort became a popular place to vacation, swim, relax and enjoy the hotel’s bar and nightlife entertainment. This hotel burned in 1931, and a third hotel and restaurant with a dance floor was built. In 1957, another major fire destroyed it as well. The site was essentially abandoned to business until the late 1980s when the hot springs were reopened. In 2019, the property was purchased and the natural hot spring pools were completely restored and rebuilt. Today, it is known as the Durango Hot Springs Resort and Spa.
Ed Horvat for Animas Museum, [email protected]