A small vial of mercury that was dropped on the floor caused Bayfield school officials to close the middle school Friday.
The spill occurred at around 9 a.m. Thursday in a classroom, according to a news release from the district. It was not clear how the spill happened, but teachers did not become aware of it until Thursday afternoon, shortly before the release of school.
A hazardous materials team was called out, and a team from the Environmental Protection Agency was at the school Friday to conduct air monitoring tests, the release said.
The middle school was closed all day Friday and will not reopen next week because of spring break.
All other Bayfield schools were in session Friday.
Based on specialists determinations, the district does not believe the spill caused any adverse health effects.