Editor's note: The Herald is running a series of GeoQuizzes written by students in Durango High School teacher Kurt Zeiner's geography class. For a class project, Zeiner had students gather into small groups and, with guidance from Travel Page Editor John Peel, each group wrote a Herald GeoQuiz.In our search to find the smartest person in Durango, we at the GeoQuiz headquarters have come up with the perfect questions to put you to the ultimate test.
The smart will survive, but the average, out of frustration, may not make it. If this lucky person is out there somewhere between Montezuma County and La Plata County, please come forward after answering these questions so that we may finally be able to end our long search.
1. This college football team was the 1990 NCAA champion. Its campus is located by the Flatirons on Colorado's Front Range. What town is this university in?
2. This place has earned the reputation as the "sex-change capitol of the world." About 5,000 sex changes reportedly take place in this town every year. It is about 100 miles south of Pueblo.
3. This comedy movie was made in 1994. Harry and Lloyd go to this Colorado town to return a stolen suitcase. Name the movie and the town, known for its winter sports and Hollywood stars.
4. The star of the Los Angeles Lakers was accused of a heinous crime in this town in 2003. The town is the name of a bird.
5. This defensive lineman played for the Detroit Lions and the Denver Broncos in the 1990s and early 2000s. The town where he played high school football is located between Durango and Cortez. Name the town - and the player, if you can.
6. The author Will Hobbs was born and grew up in a small Rocky Mountain town that is between an old Colorado mining town and the New Mexico border.
Reach Travel Page Editor John Peel at firstname.lastname@example.org.