Broncos cut ties with veteran long snapper Paxton
ENGLEWOOD The Denver Broncos released veteran long-snapper Lonie Paxton in their first round of roster cuts.
Former coach Josh McDaniels brought Paxton with him to Denver from New England in 2009, signing him to a five-year, $5.53 million deal that called for him to make $875,000 this season and $885,000 next year.
The 13-year pro was supplanted by rookie Aaron Brewer, a 6-5 undrafted free agent from San Diego State.
The Broncos also waived wide receivers Mark Dell and Cameron Kenney, tight end Anthony Miller, running back Xavier Omon, fullback Austin Sylvester, tackle Mike Remmers, guard Austin Wuebbels, linebacker Eliot Coffey, defensive end Cyril Obiozor, safety Anthony Perkins and cornerback Ramzee Robinson.
Defensive end Jason Hunter was placed on injured reserve with a torn right triceps.
Cowboys Bryant getting guidance to match talent
IRVING, Texas Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said Monday that the team has a set of guidelines in place for Dez Bryant to hold the talented young receiver accountable.
Garrett didnt go into specifics or describe potential discipline for not abiding by the rules. He said the Cowboys wants to support Bryant and his family.
According to numerous reports, Bryant will attend weekly counseling sessions, have a full-time security team and not be allowed to consume alcohol or attend strip clubs.
Bryant was arrested in July for allegedly assaulting his mother, who has since said she doesnt want authorities to pursue charges against him. The Dallas County district attorneys office has yet to make a decision about charges.
There have been other off-the-field issues as well, though Bryant was having a solid offseason until his arrest two weeks before the start of training camp. Bryants adviser, David Wells, and the players attorney, Royce West, didnt return messages to The Associated Press.
Sanduskys charity postpones its plan to shut down
The charity for troubled youths started by convicted pedophile Jerry Sandusky said Monday that it will postpone a plan to shut down and transfer programs and assets to a Texas ministry until lawsuits against the charity are resolved.
The Second Mile had petitioned a judge to allow it to shift programs and millions of dollars in assets to Houston-based Arrow Child & Family Ministries Inc. The charity said it will seek to halt the transfer until the resolution of any damage claims filed by lawyers for Sanduskys victims.
The Second Mile, the state attorney generals office and lawyers for four of Sanduskys victims are listed on an agreement filed Monday in Centre County Orphans Court. It requires court approval.
The Second Mile was crippledfinancially by the child sex abuse scandal involving Sandusky, its founder and onetime public face. After a six-month internal review, the State College-based charity concluded in May that it could not continue.
Mankato coach says illicit videos are family antics
MINNEAPOLIS Accused of taking pornographic videos of his children, a Minnesota football coach is offering a simple explanation: The images are nothing more than innocent family antics, unfairly misinterpreted by authorities as having the darkest possible motive.
That defense, first presented by Todd Hoffners attorney last week and reiterated by his wife on Monday, will face tremendous scrutiny by investigators in the days ahead and a likely challenge by prosecutors before a jury, experts said.
What theyll discover is nothing illegal, said Melodee Hoffner, whose husband is the football coach at Minnesota State University in Mankato. In the familys first statement since her husbands arrest last week, Hoffner called the charges against her husband ridiculous and baseless.