Atmos reminds residents about carbon monoxide
Atmos Energy reminds customers to take steps to prevent carbon-monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas, and prolonged exposure can be fatal. The symptoms of carbon-monoxide poisoning are flu-like and often include headache, sleepiness, weakness, vomiting, dizziness and tightness in the chest. If experiencing these symptoms, call 911; stop using the suspected gas appliance and call Atmos Energys emergency hotline at (866) 322-8667; and do not use the appliance until it has been determined to be safe.
To prevent carbon-monoxide poisoning: Hire a professional each year to inspect appliances and venting systems. To find plumbers and contractors, visit www.atmosenergy.com; install carbon monoxide detectors; do not idle a car in an attached garage; make sure chimneys and flues are clean and unobstructed and that appliances have proper ventilation; remove clutter around gas furnaces and water heaters; change furnace filters regularly; do not use natural-gas ovens as a heating source; do not use charcoal indoors; and make sure kerosene and other portable heaters are vented to the outside.
Coldwell Banker to host holiday party
Coldwell Banker Heritage House Realtors will host its annual holiday party at 6 p.m. Friday in the lobby of the Main Avenue Mall, 835 Main Ave., with all proceeds benefiting Habitat for Humanity.
The celebration will take place in honor of Kathy Hodges, a longtime Coldwell Banker Realtor who died from cancer in 2009. Hodges philanthropic efforts were instrumental in launching the La Plata County Habitat for Humanity.
Each year, donations are taken at the door for entry into the party and given to a local charity. In addition to raising money, agents also contribute volunteer hours in support of the selected nonprofit.
For more information, call 259-3333.