Four renters were displaced after a doublewide mobile home caught fire early Wednesday in the Durango West I subdivision.
The fire was reported about 1 a.m. in the 100 block of Timber Drive.
An occupant told firefighters she saw a bright light outside her bedroom, and when she looked out, she saw what appeared to be fire on the back porch, said Karola Hanks, spokeswoman with Durango Fire & Rescue Authority.
The woman warned everyone in the house, and all occupants, including two dogs, were able to escape, Hanks said.
Smoke was already filling the entire house, she said. They barely got out.
Firefighters arrived to find the center portion of the house fully engulfed, Hanks said.
She said the home sustained heavy smoke damage, and it is likely a complete loss.
It was equipped with carbon-monoxide detectors, but no smoke detectors, Hanks said. Carbon-monoxide detectors would have eventually sounded, but it would have been too late, she said.
She encouraged residents and landlords to monitor both.
The origin of the fire appears to be on the rear deck.
The official cause remained under investigation Wednesday afternoon, but firefighters were focusing on three possibilities: electrical wiring, ashes discarded from a stove and a barbecue on the deck, Hanks said.
The American Red Cross provided three people with a place to stay and other essentials.