Fifth consecutive new No. 1 in AP mens basketball poll
For the fifth consecutive week there is a new No. 1 in The Associated Press college basketball poll.
This time its Indiana.
The Hoosiers, the preseason No. 1 who held the top spot for the first five weeks of the regular season, moved up two places Monday, following their weekend win over No. 1 Michigan and No. 2 Kansas loss to Oklahoma State.
Duke started the current streak of new No. 1s and was followed by Louisville, Duke again, Michigan and Indiana.
The last time there were five No. 1s in as many weeks was the last five polls of 2008-09 when it was Connecticut, Pittsburgh, Connecticut again, North Carolina and Louisville.
The Hoosiers received 58 first-place votes from the 65-member national media panel while Florida, which jumped two spots to second, got the other seven.
Michigan fell to third and was followed by Duke, Kansas, Gonzaga, Arizona, Miami, Syracuse and Ohio State.
Stadium status uncertain with stalemate in St. Louis
ST. LOUIS An attorney for the agency that runs the home of the St. Louis Rams says it is unlikely it will implement the teams plan to upgrade the Edward Jones Dome.
Already, there is speculation about a new stadium.
Arbitrators ruled last week in favor of the teams plan for upgrading the dome to top-tier status as required by the lease agreement with the dome owner, the St. Louis Convention and Visitors Commission (CVC).
The CVC had proposed $124 million in renovations. The Rams didnt put a price tag on their plan, but CVC and city officials believe it would cost $700 million to $800 million.
The CVC has 30 days from the date of the ruling Friday to decide if it will try to implement the Rams plan, though attorney Greg Smith said Monday that step was unlikely. Smith did not offer a timetable on the CVC decision.
Jeff Rainford, chief of staff for St. Louis Mayor Francis Slay, said there was almost no chance the CVC will try to garner public support for spending hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars to improve the dome.
Police in Canada raid illegal Super Bowl gambling party
AURORA, Ontario Police in Ontario said they busted a multimillion-dollar gambling operation when they raided an invitation-only Super Bowl event.
Six men were arrested and face illegal gambling-related charges following the Sunday night raid at a packed hall in Markham, north of Toronto.
More than 2,300 people were there, officials said.
York Regional Police Supt. Paul Pedersen said almost $2.5 million in cash was seized.
He said those in the hall were allowed to leave without charges, except for the six. Police said they were profiting from the gambling operation.
Police also said the investigation shut down an offshore betting site called the Platinum Sports Book, which authorities allege was being run by the group.
Prosecutors waive charges against Giants reliever
LAS VEGAS Prosecutors in Las Vegas are letting San Francisco Giants pitcher Sergio Romo off the hook in a misdemeanor case stemming from a New Years Day tiff with Transportation Security Administration agents at McCarran International Airport.
An aide to Clark County District Attorney Steve Wolfson said Monday prosecutorial discretion was used to shelve the case.
Romo, who pitched at Colorado Mesa in Grand Junction, had faced a Feb. 12 court date and the possibility of six months in jail and a $1,000 fine. He was issued a summons Jan. 1 alleging he failed to provide proper identification at a TSA checkpoint at the Las Vegas airport.
The Giants later released a statement in which the 29-year-old Romo apologized.