A pair of Ravens take free agency flight

Sports

A pair of Ravens take free agency flight

The Super Bowl champions take a big hit Day 1 of NFL free agency
Paul Kruger priced himself out of a deal with the Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens, but he wasn’t too expensive for the Cleveland Browns. Kruger, who left Baltimore with fellow linebacker Dannell Ellerbe on the first day of free agency Tuesday, went north to division rival Cleveland for a five-year, $40-million deal.
Anquan Boldin thought he’d be catching touchdown passes, such as this Super Bowl touchdown grab, for the rest of his career with the Baltimore Ravens. Instead, he’ll now be playing for the San Francisco 49ers, the team he beat to win last year’s Super Bowl title. “I thought this was the last stop of my career, but regardless of the circumstances I came here to win a championship ... and in February we came home champions,” he said on Twitter.
Philadelphia released cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, who two years ago got a five-year, $60-million contract, $24 million guaranteed, when he left Oakland as a free agent. Asomugha was a flop in Philly, often victimized in single coverage. He was scheduled to make $15 million next season, with $4 million guaranteed.
One more year? Tony Gonzalez changed his mind and decided to return to the Falcons. The NFL’s career leader among tight ends with 1,242 receptions and 103 touchdowns said he was 95 percent certain he would retire after 2012, but the other 5 percent won out. “The lure of being on such a great team and organization, along with unbelievable fan support was too good to pass up,” Gonzalez said.

A pair of Ravens take free agency flight

Paul Kruger priced himself out of a deal with the Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens, but he wasn’t too expensive for the Cleveland Browns. Kruger, who left Baltimore with fellow linebacker Dannell Ellerbe on the first day of free agency Tuesday, went north to division rival Cleveland for a five-year, $40-million deal.
Anquan Boldin thought he’d be catching touchdown passes, such as this Super Bowl touchdown grab, for the rest of his career with the Baltimore Ravens. Instead, he’ll now be playing for the San Francisco 49ers, the team he beat to win last year’s Super Bowl title. “I thought this was the last stop of my career, but regardless of the circumstances I came here to win a championship ... and in February we came home champions,” he said on Twitter.
Philadelphia released cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, who two years ago got a five-year, $60-million contract, $24 million guaranteed, when he left Oakland as a free agent. Asomugha was a flop in Philly, often victimized in single coverage. He was scheduled to make $15 million next season, with $4 million guaranteed.
One more year? Tony Gonzalez changed his mind and decided to return to the Falcons. The NFL’s career leader among tight ends with 1,242 receptions and 103 touchdowns said he was 95 percent certain he would retire after 2012, but the other 5 percent won out. “The lure of being on such a great team and organization, along with unbelievable fan support was too good to pass up,” Gonzalez said.
Reader Comments
click here to add your event
Durango ~ Events
click here to add your event
Durango ~ Events