Durango school board meeting rescheduled
The Durango School Board of Education meeting scheduled for Aug. 25 has been cancelled. The next meeting will be held Sept. 8.
Durango School District 9-R offers the following suggestions for the upcoming season. If parents suspect their child is getting the flu, it is important he/she does not attend school or go anywhere where other people would be exposed to flu germs. It also is important to teach children how to reduce their risk of getting the flu and protect others from infection in the following ways:
- Teach children to wash their hands often. Washing with soap and hot water for at least 20 seconds is ideal.
- Teach children the proper use of hand sanitizer. Gels, rubs and hand wipes all work well, as long as they contain at least 60 percent alcohol.
- Teach children to keep their hands away from their faces and avoid touching their mouths, noses or eyes.
- Teach children to cover coughs and sneezes with tissues or by coughing into the inside of their elbows.
- Make sure children's family gets their seasonal influenza vaccine.
Durango High School announces the following registration dates:
- Senior registration will be held from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. Thursday in the Commons.
- Junior registration will be held from 1 to 4 p.m. Thursday in the Commons.
- Sophomore registration will be held from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. Friday in the Commons.
- Late registration for all grades will be held from 1 to 4 p.m. Friday in the Commons.
Most ninth graders registered in May. If your student is an incoming ninth grader and has not registered, the child should register during late registration.
Students must bring the following items in order to register: yellow attendance card completed and signed, health information sheet completed and signed, an optional school-based health center consent, information release form completed and signed, parking permit form for seniors only, signed by student and parent, a $40 registration fee and, if applicable, a separate $60 check for senior parking fee.
All of the forms and the August newsletter are available at dhs.durangoschools.org. Do not use "www."
The first day of school, Demon Day, will be Monday.
Ninth graders will begin at 8:15 a.m., and lunch will be provided.
Schedules will be issued to registered students on Demon Day.
Buses will pick up upperclassmen three hours later than the normal schedule. All upperclassmen should arrive at school no later than 11:15 a.m. and report immediately to Gym 2. Schedules will be issued to registered students at that time.
Volunteers are needed to work in three-hour shifts, morning, afternoon or both to assist the Durango High School staff with registration stations on Thursday and Friday.
Volunteers interested should e-mail Martie at mdickman@ durango.k12.co.us.
A mandatory meeting for all fall athletes, parents and coaches will be held at 7 p.m. Monday in the Durango High School gym.
Topics of discussion will include the philosophy of DHS athletic programs; athlete conduct code; sportsmanship of players, coaches and parents; eligibility requirements; booster club information; and the introduction of trainers and coaches.
After the main meeting in the gym, students and parents will meet with the individual coaches in designated areas.
For more information, call 259-1630.