The "goal" of this GeoQuiz is to keep you - the reader - out of the penalty box.
The fact that this week's theme revolves around the sport of hockey shouldn't send you off to the Dear Abby column. A
bunch of toothless guys sliding around on metal blades is just "icing" on the cake of your geo-graphic literacy.
(Editor's note: Herb just used up his quota of puns for the year. One more would have netted him a spot on the bench
and a reputation as a GeoQuiz goon.)
So, here's today's quiz. Answers on Page 11C.
1. Should you want to know what's up with this professional sport, you can visit the Hockey Hall of Fame in this city:
a) Corner Gas, Saskatchewan; b) Emptynet, Alberta; c) Blueline, North Dakota; d) Toronto, Ontario.
2. Canada claims the origin of the game and has 11 provinces. Name the four that have National Hockey League teams.
They're the four largest provinces that border the U.S.'s Lower 48.
3. In 2010, the Winter Olympic Games will be played in the country that has won the last two gold medals in women's
hockey and the 2002 gold medal in men's hockey. Joe Sakic played on the 2002 men's team. The city is: a) Bayonne, New
Jersey; b) Uppsala, Sweden; c) Vancouver, British Columbia; d) Sochi, Russia; e) Oslo, Norway.
4. Men's ice hockey has been held in the Olympics since 1920. When did women get Olympic ice hockey? a) 1980; b) 1992;
c) 1998; d) 2006.
5. The city that hosts a National Hockey League team that's most equidistant between the North Pole and Equator is: a)
Montreal; b) Toronto; c) Buffalo, N.Y.; d) Minneapolis. Score an extra point for hockey knowledge by naming the team's
mascot. (We're looking for equidistance by degrees latitude, not mileage.)
6. California boasts three NHL teams. Two are in the area of the state's largest megalopolis. One is featured in a
famous song, "Do You Know the Way to ___ ___?" Name the cities and their teams. Grab an extra point by divulging the
7. The NHL has a strong European influence. Using the clues provided, name the country each of these players is
a) Niklas Backstrom, born in Helsinki.
b) Peter Budaj, born in Trebic. The Vltava River goes through this country's capital.
c) Miroslav Satan, born in Topolcany. The country's capital is Bratislava.
8. The NHL's Panthers will never be chosen to host the NHL's annual outdoors game, held on New Year's Day. At latitude
25 degrees north, this city hosts the league's southernmost team. a) Phoenix; b) Miami; c) Dallas; d) Wilmington,Del.
9. On the opposite end, at latitude 53 degrees north, this Canadian city is host to the northernmost team in the NHL.
Name the province and name the mascot, if you can.
10. Are you still with us? Keep your stick on the ice and name the city and team that won the Super Bowl of hockey -
the Stanley Cup - in 1996 and 2001. You'd find the Pepsi Center in this city.
Herb believes he is ahead of
his time in promoting retro communication. He can be reached the old-fashioned way
at 375-4543. (Herb still refuses
to wear a helmet.)