The rupture of a gas line to a downtown Durango business Tuesday morning forced the evacuation of businesses in the
The break, in the alley between east Eighth and east Ninth streets between Main Avenue and East Second Avenue, was
apparently caused by a Leeder Construction crew working in the area. When contacted Tuesday afternoon, the firm
declined to comment on what the work team was doing.
Atmos Energy, involved in a similar leak three months ago in another stretch of the same alley, had no connection to
the incident Tuesday, spokesman Kevin Kerrigan said. The only connection between the leak Tuesday and Atmos was that
the service line ran off an Atmos main, Kerrigan said.
There were no injuries or property damage. Kerrigan expected service to be restored to the tenant by late Tuesday.
The call to Durango Fire & Rescue Authority reported a gas leak in the 800 block of Main Avenue.
Police evacuated businesses from the east side of Main to the west side of East Second Avenue and directed motorists
around the area.
DFRA crews were dispatched at 10:35 a.m., spokesman Dave Abercrombie said. The gas was shut off at 11:06 a.m.
Gas dissipates rapidly in the air, Abercrombie said. The danger is an explosion caused by the ignition of a build-up
of gas in a building, he said.
It wasn't necessary to shut off electricity, said Indiana Reed, a spokeswoman for La Plata Electric Association.
On Aug. 4, a crew from K.R. Swerdfeger Construction of Pueblo West, under contract to Atmos, ruptured a main while
replacing a steel main with one of polyethylene, Kerrigan said. There was no property damage or injuries and that
project has been completed.
On that occasion, LPEA shut off power from Fifth Street to 12th Street on the east side of Main Avenue, on East
Second Avenue and on the west side of East Third Avenue.