Smoke detectors and quick response by the Upper Pine River Fire Protection District prevented a disaster early Monday.
Upper Pine firefighters were paged at 2:34 a.m. for a house fire at 22 S. Los Pinos Drive in Bayfield. Smoke and flames from the eaves and attic of the house confronted them on arrival, according to a news release from Upper Pine.
The two occupants were able to escape without problem when they were awakened by falling debris. They were not injured.
Firefighters had control of the fire within 10 minutes, but a crew remained on site for several hours.
Initial investigation places blame for the fire on a malfunctioning vent pipe on a wood-burning stove.
Los Pinos Fire Protection District and Durango Fire Protection District arrived to help. Nineteen firefighters, three engines, two water tenders and an ambulance responded.
Initial damage is estimated at $68,000.