Firefighters from Durango Fire Protection District quickly doused a house fire shortly after 3 p.m. Sunday at 4743 Florida Road (County Road 240).
Travel was blocked for about half an hour in both directions while crews established command of the scene near the home that was directly off the road.
Durango Fire Protection District Battalion Chief Tony Harwig said after an inspection it appeared the fire was related to a stove pipe.
“It looks like the fire got into the attic around the chimney, where they have a pelt stove fireplace, and it burned out around that chimney pipe,” he said. “There’s a hole there clear through the roof.”
Homeowner Zach Wilson and Ryann Sanders were at home when Wilson said he heard something in the roof.
“I was watching the Broncos game, and could hear it crackling in the ceiling,” Wilson said. “I could see flames. When I came outside I knew right where to look.”
He said the flames were minimal, but visible.
“The flames weren’t real bad,” he said. “But there was a lot of smoke coming out of the ceiling. All that insulation, and underneath the pro panel are just shingles, and there’s a whole bunch of old roofing tar.”
The home was also surrounded by trees and other fuel.
While material was still smouldering and dark gray smoke was pouring from the roof, the fire was contained at around 3:30 p.m. and a request for assistance from Los Pinos and Upper Pine fire protection districts was canceled.
Harwig said with the rapid response crews were able to douse the fire before it could grow.
“The first engine on scene got a quick knock down, but there was still quite a bit of damage to that attic space,” he said.
The incident marked Sunday’s third house fire in La Plata County.